One of the things I often get asked in my community is what to ask your wedding suppliers.
Makes sense. You’ve probably not planned a wedding before, so why would you know everything that you need to ask?
For many brides it’s a question of ‘I don’t know what I don’t know, so where to start?’
Well I believe that we as wedding suppliers should make planning as easy as possible for you.
So, although of course you will doubtless go to meetings with potential wedding suppliers armed with a list of questions, I would also throw the ball into their courts and ask what you might have forgotten.
Good suppliers will take you through a process which will hopefully answer things you’ve thought of, and questions you hadn’t.
Good questions to pose to each supplier you believe you want to work with, are:
- Can you think of anything we’ve forgotten to ask?
- Is there anything which other brides have been surprised by which you could run us through?
- Have you had any feedback from brides who wish they’d known something they didn’t?
Suppliers rarely avoid telling you things for any sinister reason.
If something is missed, it’s usually because they assumed something was obvious, or you did, therefore you didn’t ask.
One of my mantras is ‘the only silly question is the one you don’t ask’.
However, these ‘silly’ questions are often the ones brides don’t ask, because they don’t want to look daft – trust me, it’s never daft, it’s your wedding and you deserve to know exactly what to expect!
Some of the post wedding feedback I see in my community includes:
- I had no idea the woman who sold us our wedding package wouldn’t be there on our wedding day.
- Our caterers served drinks at the bar which we had bought. We assumed they would dispose of our empties free of charge, but we had to do it ourselves.
- I didn’t realise I needed to provide a cake knife: luckily the caterers wrapped one of theirs in ribbon for us.
Chances are in many cases these points form part of your contract, but not always, so ask, ask and ask again.
If you’re worried you might forget to ask something, we’ve put together a bundle of 5 checklists, packed full of all the questions you need to ask your venue, caterer, photographer, cake designer and stationer and we’ve discounted it to just £2 for the whole lot.
Image credits in order: